There are a million and one different web cameras to choose from and the quality and price will vary as much. It is crucial that you buy one that suits your needs., The webcam we feature on this site recieved 5 stars from ComputerActive.co.uk and is regarded as the best webcam on a budget.
The StarCam CliP has a small stand section that can attach to the top of a monitor if needed. Installation is very straight forward using the software which comes with the camera. The camera integrates well with Windows whcih means that images can be viewed from My Computer. This camera is also ideal for using with Skype.
Image quality is very good for this price and the built-in microphone certainly does the trick.
Of course, if you decide to spend a bit more than why not go for The QuickCam Sphere AF webcam from Logitech which is equipped with a motorised lens and intelligent face-detection technology, so the webcam follows you as you move and keeps you at the centre of the frame at all times. This little gem will set you back approx. £70 (about $140). Well worth the money!
The latest buzz to hit the high streets must be the Flip F260B-UK Video Ultra Series Digital Camcorder – Black (60 mins) weighing at only 454gram and cost approx. £80. The main features include:
- Pocket-sized camcorder with one-touch recording and digital zoom
- Holds 60 minutes of full VGA-quality video on 2GB of built-in memory; no tapes or additional memory cards required
- Convenient USB arm plugs directly into your computer for easy viewing and sharing
- Built-in software lets you easily e-mail videos, upload to YouTube and MySpace, and capture still photos from video
- Watch videos instantly on TV with included cable
Personally, the best thing about Flip is the ease which you can take it out from your pocket, switch it on, record and then ‘flip’ out (get it?) the USB connector, upload it to Youtube.com or to your local network. There is a Flip HD version for approx. £160 as well.